Ah yes…we are talking about one of my favorite things today…RACEcations!
I got in 8 miles today plus some strength work and my upper body is seriously feeling it. I was so glad to be done with this run right after the sun came up! I tell you what those 5 am-ish wake up calls are never easy but always worth it. Plus I get to drink coffee even sooner.
So yeah, racecations…in my opinion they are the best way to see a new city or place! 26.2 miles is much more fun when you are exploring new territory.
Here are 5 reasons why you should just bite the bullet and book that next trip.
1. To cross some major marathons/races off of your bucket list. I’ve run Chicago, the Marine Corps Marathon and some of the Rock n Roll series races like New Orleans and San Diego. The big ones are the best because they have some of the most incredible crowd support. Which means you rarely ever get bored and someone is always cheering for you the entire way through. The volunteers can’t be beat as well so you will stay super hydrated.
2. For the scenic route. Although bigger, more popular marathons can be lots of fun, the smaller ones should not be discredited. They often have some of the more scenic courses so you can take in a bit of nature and enjoy the peace and serenity of the long run.
3. To enjoy some incredible post run cuisine in a different part of the country. There’s nothing better than going to a place that is known for wonderful pizza or food unique to that region and getting to have a little post marathon treat afterwards. And for the record, New York has the best pizza. I am just not a Chicago deep dish gal.
4. For the souvenirs. One of my favorite things is getting something at the race expo that will help me remember that 26.2 for years to come. I have so much memorabilia from races it is ridiculous. At least I never run out of workout clothes or race shirts.
5. For the memories. From the people you will meet along the course to the landmarks you will pass by along the way, there is nothing more fun than running a marathon in a unique destination. You will remember and cherish every mile.
Do you have a RACEcation booked this fall? Tell me about it!