Hello! It was a 7 before 7 kind of morning…just enjoying this awesome (humid) view with my running club. 7 miles before 7 a.m.
I tell ya…it sure is starting to heat up down here! I’m seeing lots of weekend pool time in my near future.
Post run refreshment…have you tried the Starbucks pink drink yet? It’s filled with acai and coconut milk, then strawberries thrown in. And all for less than 150 calories. You can read more about it here. My new summer favorite.
Speaking of summer…and humidity…here are a few ways you can enjoy those miles this season…run happy and beat the heat!
1. Lather up on that sunscreen…and the body glide. Chafing can definitely be avoided with the right products. I recommend body glide and also coconut oil! If you didn’t know coconut oil actually is a natural SPF. I would mix the two for best results. Your skin will thank you.
2. Don’t underestimate the power of electrolytes. Especially with longer runs, I like to take in some Nuun or mix my water with a bit of gatorade.
3. It’s okay to slow the pace down in order to adapt and acclimate to the heat. I tend to run 30 seconds to a minute per mile slower than usual in the summer. Not to worry…when those fall marathons roll around and it cools off you will be stronger both physically and mentally! Just get through those runs and you will absolutely build strength and endurance. Consistency is key.
4. Have the proper running swag. Wear light colored clothing, dri fit tops and shorts. The lighter the material, the better.
5. Run in the heat with awesome people. It surely helps those runs go way faster when you run with fun buddies!
What are some ways you enjoy those summer miles?
12 thoughts on “5 Ways to Enjoy Summer Running.”
haha I laughed when I saw the title of this post – I have a similar one coming tomorrow! Great minds think alike 🙂 That pink drink looks awesome, will have to try it!
HA! Nice!! Look fwd to reading your post as well!
great tips and spot on, though today it was 55 degrees and raining in Seattle!! we’ll warm up again though, and absolutely on the iced drinks from Starbucks 🙂
Oh 55 degrees…what I would give for those temps right now!
I am literally addicted to the “pink drink”… OBSESSION!! All of these are on point 🙂
Girrrrl it is the BEST!
Had a nice 8 before 8 morning in a refreshing light rain!
Fantastic! So funny…I ran 8 before 8 this morning too!! A very hilly 8 miles but it was fun 🙂 Way to get after it!
Beautiful photo! I can’t believe how hot it is down there– but I guess it IS Texas! Thanks for the tips and stay cool! 🙂
Yep! Thankfully I actually enjoy getting up early before it heats up to run!
enjoy summer miles?! girl you are crazy! i enjoy them by getting my miles in before people get up, makes me feel super productive!
Getting up early is always the best way to do it! HA!!