1. Either you run the day or the day runs you. -Jim Rohn
2. It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle. -Richard M. DeVos
3. A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more. -Steve Prefontaine
4. Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out. -Robert Collier
5. To be a good runner, you must first be a good athlete. -Jay Johnson
6. We all have dreams. But in order to make dreams come into reality, it takes an awful lot of determination, dedication, self-discipline, and effort. -Jesse Owens
7. Running allows me to set my mind free. Nothing seems impossible. Nothing unattainable. -Kara Goucher
8. I think I get addicted to the feelings associated with the end of a long run. I love feeling empty, clean, worn out, and sweat-purged. I love that good ache of the muscles that have done me proud. -Kristin Armstrong
9. It’s very hard at the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually, you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit. -George Sheehan
10. Run often. Run long. But never outrun your joy of running. -Julie Isphording
11. There is magic in misery. Just ask any runner. -Dean Karnazes
12. People sometimes sneer at those who run every day, claiming they’ll go to any length to live longer. But don’t think that’s the reason most people run. Most runners run not because they want to live longer, but because they want to live life to the fullest. If you’re going to while away the years, it’s far better to live them with clear goals and fully alive then in a fog, and I believe running helps you to do that. Exerting yourself to the fullest within your individual limits: that’s the essence of running, and a metaphor for life.- Haruki Murakami
What are some of your favorite running quotes?
16 thoughts on “12 of My Favorite Running Quotes.”
“During long, slow distance training, you should think of yourself as a thoroughbred disguised as a plow horse. No need to give yourself away by running fast.”
–Marty Liquori, running commentator and former world-class miler
I love numbers 9 and 10! Thanks for the inspiration to get out the door right after work today!
You’re welcome sweetie! Go rock it out!!
Love all of these, one of my personal favorites is “To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift” also Pre 🙂
Prefontaine generated the BEST running quotes! That is for sure!!!
The 12th one!!! So true! I’ve never heard that one before
Right?! It is just so on point 🙂
None of my own, but I live by no 3, Pre”
numbers 11 and 12!
Yep! Gotta love good ole Dean!!
“The battles that count aren’t for gold medals. The struggles within yourself, the invisible, inevitable battles inside of all of us, that’s where it’s at” – Jesse Owens.
Because none of us battles for gold medals but I firmly believe that when we run – we are overcoming some great battles like Owens says!
YES!!! True story indeed!
No 4 is great. Thanks for reminding.
You’re welcome!! 😊